1.Just as I was _____, a strange thought crossed my mind.
2. It’s always better to anticipate a problem before it ____ than to search for a solution afterwards.
3. I don’t want to _____ the party but I really have to go now.
4. She is politically incompetent, so she has been _____ as a possible candidate for the presidential elections.
5. ______ early, you would have met Professor Smith.
A.If you came
B.Have you come
C.Had you come
D.If you come
6. Bob has no washing machine, so he decides to have one ____ tomorrow.
7. Davies is busy _____ Paul Brinkworth’s latest novel for television.
C.to have adapted
8. The president called upon the army to help ___ the rebellion.
9. ______ the doctor’s skill, the little girl would have died.
C.By virtue of
D.On the grounds of
10.If you don’t _____ before taking exercise, you risk injuring yourself.
11. Will you keep an eye ____ my suitcase when I go to get the tickets?
12. Coffee goes _____ within a couple of weeks, so it is best to buy it in small quantities.
13. Scarcely ____ our hands when the phone rang.
B.had Bruce shaken
C.Bruce had shaken
D.did Bruce shake
14. The boy is seriously ill, please _____ a doctor at once.
15. This chapter is so difficult to ____, I shall have to read it again later.
16. You father thought she was nice but Camille and I didn’t ____ her.
B.get hold of
D.make fun of
17. There are ____ houses in this area as there used to be.
A.as twice many
B.twice as many
C.twice as much
D.as twice much
18. It is wise to be ______ your guard against people who are trying to cheat you.
19. Following the earthquake, a large-scale rescue operation was ____.
20. Before you accept the task, you have to ____ the possibility that you might not finish it on schedule.