1.The two lawyers ___ for a few minutes about the exact meaning of a point of law.
A) discussed B) argued C) quarreled D) clashed
2.He stood on the ___ of the river, looking down into the water.
A) border B) coast C) bank D) beach
3.He said that one must ___ religion from politics.
A) divorce B) divide C) identify D) differ
4.Generally, the larger the ___ , the more stable the object.
A) basis B) basin C) base D) basement
5.We cannot judge a person simply on the ___ of his education.
A) condition B) basis C) principle D) base
6.By rail it is cheaper to buy a return ticket than two ___ tickets.
A) individual B) single C) singular D) separate
7.We’re all in favor of spending whatever is necessary to ___ air pollution.
A) struggle B) combat C) conflict D) dismiss
8.We must leave nothing to ___.
A) possibility B) wish C) opportunity D) chance
9.He ___ the members of the audience to their seats.
A) accompanied B) distributed C) attended D) conducted
10. While in London, we paid a visit to the hospital founded ___ the nurse Florence Nightingale.
A) in line with B) in favor of C) in honor of D) in place of
Music comes in many forms; most countries have a style of their own. __1__the
turn of the century when jazz (爵士乐) was born, America had no prominent__2__of its own. No one knows exactly when jazz was__ 3__, or by whom. But it began
to be__4__in the early 1900s. Jazz is America's contribution to__5__music. In
contrast to classical music, which__6__ formal European traditions. jazz is
spontaneous and free-form. It bubbles with energy,__7__ moods, interests and
emotions of the people. In the 1920s jazz__8__like America. And__9__it does
The__10__of this music arc as interesting as the music__11__, American
Negroes , or blacks, as they are called today were the Jazz__12__. They were
brought to the Southern states__ 13__ slaves. They were sold to plantation owners
and forced to work long__14__. When a Negro died his friends and relatives__15__a
procession to carry the body to the cemetery. In New Orleans, a band often
accompanied the__ 16__. On the way to the cemetery the band played slow, solemn
music suited to the occasion.__17__on the way home the mood changed. Spirits
lifted. Death had removed one of their__18__, but the living were glad to be
alive. The band played__19__music, improvising(即兴表演) on both the harmony
and the melody of the tunes__20__at the funeral. This music made everyone wan
to dance. It was an early form of Jazz .
1. A) By B)At C) In D) On
2. A) music B) song C) melody D) style
3. A) discovered B) acted C) invented D) designed
4. A) noticed B) found C) listened D) heard
5. A) classical B) sacred C) Popular D) light
6. A) forms B) follows C) approaches D) introduces
7. A) expressing B) explaining C) exposing D) illustrating
8. A) appeared B) felt C)seemed D) sounded
9. A) as B) so C) either D) neither
10. A) origins B) originals C) discoveries D) resources
11. A) concerned B) itself C) available D) oneself
12. A) Players B) fo llowers C) fans D) pioneers
13. A) for B) as C) with D) by
14. A) months B) weeks C) hours D) times
15. A) demonstrated B) composed C) hosted D) formed
16. A) demonstration B) procession C) body D) march
17. A) Even B) Therefore C) Furthermore D) But
18. A) number B) members C) body D) relations
19. A) sad B) solemn C) happy D) funeral
20. A) whistled B) sung C) presented D) showed