Part I Vocabulary and Structure (10%)
Direction: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this part. For eachsentence there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the ONE answerthat best completes the sentence. Then blacken the corresponding letter on theAnswer Sheet with a pencil.
1. The poor lady was too and distressed to talk about the tragedy.
A. engaged B.exhausted C. ignorant D.energetic
2. At fist , the famouspainting doesn’t impress theaudience at all.
A. glance B.gaze C. stare D.view
3. Delegates agree to the plan in , but there were some details they didn’t approve.
A. discipline B. theory C. principle D. nature
4. I took the medicine 10minutes ago, but the bitterness isstill in my mouth.
A. scattering B. felling C. maintaining D. lingering
5. Since the of humanhistory, human beings have been asking questions like "What is the essenceof life."
A. dusk B.dust C. twinkle C. Dawn
6. The eldest son all the family members to discuss how to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of their parents.
A. Clustered B. resembled C. assembled D. rendered
7. I must leave now, ,if you want that book I’LL bring it you tomorrow .
A. Accidentally B. Incidentally C. Occasionally D. Subsequently
8. My mother is a light sleeper, to any sound even as low as thehumming of mosquito.
A. alert B. acute C. keen D. immune
9. The newly built factory is in urgent need of a number of skilledand workers.
A. consistent B. conscious C. confidential D. conscientious
10. As an outstanding scholar, he has become to the research team.
A. senior B. junior C. indispensible C. independent
11. Sixteen days after the earthquake, 40people, in their village, were rescued.
A. trapped B. confined C. enclosed D. captured
12. Working far away from home, Jerry had to from downtown to his office everyday.
A. wander B.commute C. ramble D. motion
13. The finance minister has not been so since he raised taxes to an unbearablelevel.
A. famous B.favorable C. popular D. preferable
14. It is unimaginable for someone in such a high in the govemment to behave so badly inpublic.
A. situation B. position C. profession D. appointment
15. Information given to employees must be , clear and in easy-to-follow language.
A.convenient B.continuous C.constant D.concise
16. John was very upset because he was by the police with breaking the law.
A. sentenced B. arrested C. accused D. charged
17. David likes country life and has decided farming.
A. go in for B. go back on C. go along with D. go through with
18. Jennifer has never really her son’s death. It’s very hard to accept the face thatshe’ll never have a child.
A. come to terms with B.come up against C. come out with D.come down to
19. A national debate is now about whether we should replace golden weeks with paid Vacations.
A. in the way B.by the way C. under way D.out of the way
20. When a psychologist does a general experiment about the humanmind, he selects people and asks them questions.
A. at ease B.at random C. in essence D.in sum