Section I Vocabulary
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. Foreach sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one thatbest completes the sentence and mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10points)
1.Oil is an important ______material which can be processed into manydifferent products, including plastics.
A raw B bleak C flexible D fertile
2.The high living standards of the US cause its present population to____ 25 percent of the world’s oil.
A assume B consume C resume Dpresume
3. You shouldn’t be so ___ ---I didn’t mean anything bad in what I said.
A sentimental Bsensible C sensitive D sophisticated
4. Picasso was an artist whofundamentally changed the ___ of art for later generations.
A. philosophy Bconcept C viewpoint D theme
5. Member states had theoption to ____ from this agreement with one year’s notice.
A deny B object C suspect D withdraw
6. The two countries achievedsome progress in the sphere of trade relations, traditionally a source of ____irritation.
A mutual Boptional C neutral D parallel
7. Williams had not beenthere during the ___ moments when the kidnapping had taken place.
A superior Brigorous C vital D unique
8. Travel around Japan today,and one sees foreign residents a wide ____ of jobs.
A range B field C scale D area
9. Modern manufacturing has___ a global river of materials into a stunning array of new products.
A translated Btransformed C transferred D transported
10. Lightning has been the second largest storm killer in the US over thepast 40 years and is ____ only by flood.
A exceeded Bexcelled C excluded D extended
11. Voices were ____as the argument between the two motorists becamemore bad-tempered.
A swollen B.increased C. developed D. raised
12. Some sufferers will quickly be restored to prefect health,___others will take a longer time.
A. which B.where C. when D. whereas
13. My brother likes eating very much but he isn’t very ___about the food he eats.
A. special B.peculiar C. particular D. unusual
14. Britain might still be part of France if it weren’t ____a disastrous flood 200.000years ago, according to scientists from Imperial College in London.
A. upon B. with C. in D. for
15. The water prize is an international award that __outstandingcontributions towards solving global water problems.
A. recognizes B.requires C. releases D. relays
16. In its 14 years of _¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬____, the European Union has earnedthe scorn of its citizens and skepticism from the United States.
A. endurance B.emergence C. existence D. eminence
17. His excuse for being late this morning was his car had __ in thesnow.
A. started up B. gotstuck C. set back D. stood by
18.____widespread belief cockroaches (螳螂) would not take over the world if there were no around to step onthem.
A. In view of B. Thanksto C. In case of D. Contrary to
19. Consciously or not, ordinary citizens and government bureaucratsstill _____the notion that Japanese society is a unique culture.
A. fit in with B. lookdown on C. cling to D. hold back
20. As you can see by yourself, things ____to be exactly as theprofessor had foreseen.
A . turned in B. turnedout C. turned up D. turned down