Section I Vocabulary (10 points)
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. Foreach sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one thatbest completes the sentence and mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1.
21. It is feared that people living near the powerstation may have been_____ to radiation.
A. displayed B. released C. explored D. exposed
22. Some people are _____ into thinking that they like to store up energy.
A. measured B. coaxed C. deceived D. delivered
23. If you think your child“s request is _____, give him a chance to earn themoney to buy the item.
A. worth B. worthwhile C. worthy D. worthless
24. Parental love should include , and so the teenager who is truly loved willreceive guidance.
A. discipline B. acceptance C. allowance D. principal
25. As a teacher you have to your methods to suit the needs of slower children.
A. adopt B. adjust C. adapt D. acquire
26. The public opinion was that the time was not for the election of such aradical candidate as Mr. Jones.
A. reasonable B. practical C. ready D. ripe
27. One reason for the successes of Asian immigrants in the U.S. is thatthey have taken great _____ to educate their children.
A. efforts B. pains C. attempts D. endeavors
28. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn, the Irish milkmaidfought hard to her laughter.
A. hold back B. hold on C. hold out D. hold up
29. How does it that your answers are identical with his?
A. come out B. come off C. come up D. come about
30. There are a few small things that I don“t like about my job, but ______it’svery enjoyable.
A. above all B. as usual C. by and large D. by all means
31. I provided you with the money. Why didn“t you ask me?
A. could have B. had C. must have D. ought to have
32. no doubt that the effectiveness of the drug needs to be tested by manyexperiments.
A. There being B. It is C. There is D. It being
33. Mary said that she ought not to have made her father angry, ?
A. oughtn“t she B. hadn“t she C. wasn“t she D. didn“t she
34. We often go to the amusement park which is situated in a deserted field.
A. that used to be B. that is used to be C. what used to be D. what is used tobe
35. After into the ward, the nurse at the desk asked me several questions.
A. being wheeled B. I was wheeled C. wheeling D. having been wheeled
36. Many a plant best in places where there is a great deal of shade.
A. grows B. grow C. has grown D. have grown
37. The robber was brought to the judge, his hands _______.
A. to be fast tied B. were fast tied C. having been fast tied D. fast tied
38. the diffusion of heat upward to the Earth“s surface, the temperature withinthe Earth remains constant.
A. That B. Despite C. If D. When
39. are inert outside living cells, but within the appropriate cells they canreplicate, causing viral diseases in the host organism.
A. Viruses B. That viruses C. Viruses, which D. Despite viruses
40. Only recently possible to separate the components of flagrant substancesand to determine their chemical composition.
A. it becomes B. having become C. has it become D. which becomes