Section II Cloze (10 points)
Directions: Read the following text. Choose the best word(s) foreach numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on ANSWER SHEET 1.
21. Long long ago,most foresters have been men, but today, a numberof women this field is climbing.
A. registering B. pursuing C. devoting D. engaging
22. The bankno0tes which had fooled many bank tellers werediscovered to be
A. artificial B. genuene C. counterfeit D. faulty
23. Without a whole hearted to a keen forward-looking vision and adeep insight, you cnnot be a leader.
A. determination B. resolution C. commitment D. obligation
24. All transactions are strictly , and we never sell, rent or tradeany customer’s name.
A. considerable B. confident C. considerate D. confidential ..joxue.
25. Big businesses enjoy certain that smaller ones do not have.
A. transactions B. privileges C. subsidies D. substitutes
26. Your kindness in giving to the consideration of the aboveproblem vill be highly appreciated.
A. importance B. advantage C. priority D. authority
27. The border incident led to the two countries their diplomaticrelations.
A. breaking out B. breaking in C. breaking through D. breaking off
28. I meant to sound confident at the interview but I’ m afraid I as self-assertive.
A. got in B. got over C. got off D. got out
29. John planned to take part in the competition but had to onaccount of the car accident.
A. drop out B. hold out C. get out D. run out
30. He doesn’t work but he gets a good from his investment.
A. subsidy B. income C. earning D. salary
31. can help but be fascinated by the world into which he is takenby the science fiction.
A. Anybody B.Nobody C. Somebody D. Everybody
32. Anyone with half an eye on the unemployment figures knew thaythe assertion about economic recovery just around the corner was untrue.
A. was B. being C. would be D. to be
33. Oceans continually lose by evaporating much of the river waterinto them.
A. to constantly flow B. be constantly flowing C. constantly flowsD. constantly flowing
34. The result has turned still worse than it .
A. would otherwise have been B. would be otherwise
C. had otherwise been D. has otherwise benn
35. There is no reason they should limit how much vitamin you take,they can limit how much water you drink.
A. much more than B. no more than C. no less than D. any more than
36. He told us how he dealt with the self-interest of differentcountries to bring them into a kind of international accord. everyone seemed tobenefit.
A. where B. what C. that D. which
37. We hope the measures to control prices taken by the governmentwill succeed.
A. when B. as C. since D. after
38. The costs of distribution and sales make up a large part ofprices that .
A. all products are paid for B. are paid for all products
C. all products paid D. for which all products paid
39. So quickly are science and technology advancing is a possibilitytoday may be a reality tomorrow.
A. that B. what C. that which D. that what
40. It is still Richard’s ambition to study medicine , someday, to make a real contributionto the field of science.
A. and B. also C. but D. or ..joxue.