SectionI Vocabulary (10 points)
There are 20incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choicesmarked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and markyour answers on ANSWER SHEET 1.
21.The precious manuscripts were hopelessly by long exposure in the cold, damp cellar.
A.ruined B. damaged C. destroyed D. harmed
22. the board of the company has decided to its operation to include all aspects of the clothing business.
A. extend B. enlarge C. expand D. amplify
23.That sound doesn’t in his language, so it’s difficult for him to pronounce it .
A. happen B. occur C. have D. take place
24. the accommodation was cheap, but the food was very .
A. high B. costly C. dear D. overpaid
25.My boss insists on seeing everything in before he makes a decision.
A. black and blue B. red and blue C. black and white D. green and yellow
26. The work is not very profitable cash, but I am getting valuable experience from it.
A. in the light of B. according to C. on the basis of D. in terms of
27. At the meeting ,Smith argued in favor of the proposal.
A. severely B. warmly C. forcefully D. heavily
28. His attention often at lectures, No wonder he failed the exam.
A. branched B. wondered C. wandered D. went out
29.It’s often a mistake to appearance: that poor-looking individual is anything but poor. In fact, he is a millionaire.
A. go over B. go by C. go against D. go for
30. He doesn‘t seem to be able to any interest in his studies.
A. make up B. work up C. turn up D. use up
31.Man has used metals for centuries in gradually increasing quantities but it was the Industrial Revolution that they came to be employed in really vast quantities.
A. till B. until C. not until D. not till
32. His brother had become a financier, he wanted to be.
A. who B. what C. which D. that
33. These goods are sold at reduced prices, .
A. the defects are pointed out to the customers
B. the defects pointed out to the customers
C. the defects have been pointed out to the customers
D. the defects being pointed out to the customers
34. Basic research provides the capital fund of scientific knowledge, which the applied researchers drew to give society a rich rate of interest.
A. on B. up C. out D. to
35. I’ve kept up a friendship with a girl who I was at school twenty years ago.
A. about B. since C. with D. till
36. is generally accepted, economical growth is determined by the smooth development of production.
A. What B. That C. it D. As
37. The Social Security Retirement Program is made up of two trust funds, could go penniless by next year.
A. the larger one B. the larger of which C. the largest one D. the largest of which
38. For my own part, in seems that the main requirement of an international language is that it .
A. would be easily learned B. is easily learned C. will be easily learned D. be easily learned
39. There ought to be less anxiety over the perceived risk of getting cancer than in the public mind today.
A. exist B. exists C. existing D. existed
40. the government is believed to be considering a law making it a crime to import any kind of weapon.
A. to pass B. to have passed C. passing D. having passed